Floodplain Development


Prior to doing work within the floodplain or the floodway, removal or damage of vegetation within 25' of the river or riverside of the greenbelt or nature path, or if you are requesting a Flood Insurance Rate Map Letter of Map Change you will need to apply for a floodplain/way application through the City.  Before you build on, alter, re-grade, dredge or fill on your property, check with the City to determine if a permit is needed.  These types of activities can cause harm and flooding to nearby properties if not done correctly.  Additionally, any reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition or other improvements to a building that equal or exceed 50% of the building’s value, must comply with the same standards as any new development in the SFHA.  Monitoring the floodplain in Garden City is important not only to structures and development, but also to the enhancement and protection of the River habitat and water quality.  The open space along the floodplain contributes not only to the scenic beauty of the Greenbelt that borders the River, but the floodplain provides protection for wetlands, rookeries and fish habitat.

Access to the River and Work Within the Riparian Area

Any removal of vegetation within the Riparian Area requires a Floodplain Development Permit for work within the Riparian Area

Access to the river requires a Conditional Use Permit as well as a Floodplain Development Permit for work within the Riparian Area.

For purposes of the Garden City Code, the riparian area is considered the area between the ordinary high water mark of the Boise River including tributaries where water comes from and flows back into the Boise River and the greenbelt and/or nature path; or where there is no greenbelt and/or nature path adjacent to the river or tributary, the area measured twenty-five feet (25') in width from the riverbank.

Letter of Map Change (LOMC)

LOMC, such as LOMR and LOMAs address discrepancies with FEMA, regulatory Flood Insurance Rate Mat (FIRM) either pre or post fill.