Non-Residential Building Permit Application

Submit a complete application package to

PLEASE NOTE: We will not accept incomplete applications or applications that refer to materials in other applications.  

Non-Residential Building Permit Application

Any authorized agent and/or property owner who intends to construct, alter, demolish, etc... shall first submit an application to Garden City and obtain the required permit. The permit, or copy, and the approved plans shall then be kept on the site of the work until the completion of the project. (Ord. 973-14, 12-8-2014) 

Before Applying:

Before you start, please make sure you have the appropriate entitlement permits in place such as an approved Conditional Use Permit and/or Design Review approvals. 

What to expect when you apply: 

Initial costs include:

Permit Fee: Cost based on Project Value. 
In the Garden City adopted Fee Schedule (Resolution 965-12page 6) valuations are to be “determined by using the valuation data established in the most current issue of International Code Council 
Building Valuation Data (BVD) table, or the actual project cost, whichever is greater.” 

Plan Review Fee: 65% of Permit Fee

Administrative Fee: $53/hr 

North Ada County Fire & Rescue Impact Fees: $647.00 per new unit on Multi-Family construction or $0.32/sq. ft. of new Non-Residential Construction.

If connecting to water and/or sewer please anticipate fees for water meter, sewer capitalization, sewer trunk, and sewer treatment fees.

An application to the North Ada County Fire and Rescue District must also be submitted for a Fire Review with your application. Please refer to the Fire Submittal User Guide

Review Process & Procedures: 

Garden City contracts with both SAFEbuilt and Idaho Division of Occupational & Professional Licenses (DOPL) to provide building services. 

Projects reviewed by SAFEBuilt will be shared via Sharepoint and tracked by Garden City. Communication and Plan Reviews will be emailed directly to the Applicant listed on the Building Permit Application. Any required resubmittals shall be routed to Garden City accompanied with a
 Resubmittal Form to ensure they are added to the review queue in a timely manner.

**Projects reviewed by SAFEBuilt DO NOT require M.E.P Trades Permits to be pulled through the State. (Dept. Of Professional Licenses.) Instead, please complete a Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Trades Permit application and submit these forms with your Non-Residential Building Permit application. Trades Permits will be issued with your Building Permit. 

 Reviews are conducted via ProjectDox administered by Idaho Division of Building Safety. An email with your username will be provided to the Applicant listed on the Building Permit Application. Use this to log on and track the progress of the reviews and resubmit if necessary. If there is a team effort, please share the username and password so that individuals in your team can check the status and also upload any revised submittal documents. 

Resubmittals require the use of the Resubmittal Form. 

**We recommend that you resubmit responses to all reviewers for a review cycle at one time to avoid delays and expenses. 

Feel free to reach out to the individual reviewers if you have questions on their review.  


When Your Permit is Issued:

Invoices must be paid in full before a permit is released. After your permit is issued, please make sure to print out a set of the stamped approved plans to maintain on site and have your permit(s) posted and clearly visible. If the permit and plans are not available to inspectors, they will not perform their inspection, and this can result in a additional charges and a failed inspection. 

An inspection card will be provided at permit issuance however, it is your responsibility to know which inspections must be scheduled. If you have any questions, please reach out to the individual inspectors at DOPL or Safebuilt.  

Finishing your Project:

No building or structure shall be used or occupied until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued. To request your C of O, please complete and provide a completed Certificate of Occupancy Request Form to